Tuesday 1 May 2012

ANZAC Day

So, it's been a while since my last blog. ANZAC day has come and gone.


When I was young I remember my father waking me up at some ghastly hour in the morning and taking me along to an ANZAC day dawn service (which I thought was super boring).  After the service we would hang around with a group of my fathers friends drinking beers and telling stories about their time in the defence force. I really had no idea what ANZAC day was all about, all I knew is that my father celebrated it every year and it meant a lot to him.


Over the years I have learnt more about the history of ANZAC day and my ancestors involvement in the military. I have discovered I have a really strong military history in my family. ANZAC Day is now one of my favourite days of the year to comemmorate with friends.


This year I had the opportunity to go to the local army base dawn service with my husband. I'd have to say it was one of the best services I've been to. It was a beautiful, calm, CRISP morning. I was thinking about how freezing I was and how I wished I was inside....but then it hit me that the guys who have fought in wars would have been through a lot worse than being cold!


 After the service we headed into the city where my husband  participated in the march then we headed off to the pub for some drinks and to play two-up. This year was my first year watching the march and I must say it was very moving. It was amazing seeing the number of people and different sections that are involved in the military.


My husband had always been very enthusiastic about playing two-up on ANZAC day and I never really knew the correlation.......so after a little bit of research I discovered that two-up was played extensively by Australia's soldiers during WWI. Such games became a regular part of ANZAC day celebrations for returned soldiers and to mark a shared experience with diggers thoughout time.


If you have never been to a dawn service or commemorated ANZAC day I suggest do it once in your life to see what it's like. It truly is a memorable day.



No comments:

Post a Comment