Tuesday 24 April 2012

What is an 'army' wife?

I got asked today "What is the difference between an army wife and a 'non' army wife?". I have only been married once so I can't compare to a 'non' army wife.

The main points that stand out in my mind are:

-You are likely to move every 2-3 years. You have to pack up your life into a billion boxes, leave your "new" friends and leave your "new" job in search for another.

- You learn to enjoy your own company. Sometimes army guys go away for days, weeks, sometimes months on end. After the first few days it's relaxing, by the end of the week you are starting to talk to yourself and well at the end of months apart you are going totally insane.

-Your husband has to keep things from you. Sometimes army wives aren't allowed to know where their husbands have gone. Sometimes there is minimal to no contact. Whilst they're away there's always the thought in the back of your mind that the next time the phone rings or someone knocks on the door you're going to find out your husband isn't coming home.

-You learn to adapt to change. Moving, new jobs, new friends, partners coming and going. You wouldn't cope if you didn't adapt quickly!

I yet have a LOT to experience and I will take it all in my stride. I am not saying army wives have it harder than others. I am not saying that we have it easier either. I'm allowing those who don't necessarily experience these things to have an insight into what it's like.


1 comment:

  1. My "favourite" experience as an army wife is perhaps not being able to book any surprise anniversary long weekend or holiday or concert tickets, just in case they're not home, or can't go to that particular location. Or like the time my family came down to visit just recently and Drunkle wasn't around for most of the time because 3 days prior to their arrival (and his departure) the news was broken that he had to go away. Last minute stuff is up there on the "favourites" list. Thank God I have someone who understands my anguish! I heart you, eAdes.

    ReplyDelete